Best Alvin Alexander books
Functional Programming, Simplified: (Scala edition)
Best price for this book: $ 0
“Functional Programming, Simplified (Scala edition),” makes the process of learning functional programming (FP) in Scala as simple as possible by breaking down complex topics into small, bite-size chunks that are easy to understand. The lessons are presented in a logical sequence — the order in which the author learned them — culminating in advanced topics like functional domain modeling, and how to write and use monads.
Some of the book’s lessons include:
- A simple set of rules for functional programming in Scala
- How and why to write pure functions and use immutable variables
- Why function signatures in FP are *much* more important than method signatures in OOP
- How pure functions work with I/O (file, database, and network)
- How to read anonymous functions
- Lessons on recursion, with many images to help explain how it works
- How the concepts of JVM stacks and stack frames work
- Partially-applied functions and currying
- How using Option naturally leads to flatMap, and how flatMap naturally leads to for-comprehensions
- How and why to use case classes and pattern matching
- How to use monads like State and IO
- How to use monad transformers like StateT
- How (and why) to write your own monads
- Domain modeling in functional programming
- How to use “lenses” to update immutable data models
- Concurrency lessons cover Akka actors and Scala futures
- Visual lessons on collections’ methods like fold and reduce
- How to use the ScalaCheck property-testing framework
- How to write and use “type classes”
- Algebraic Data Types (ADTs) are explained
All told, the book currently contains 118 small chapters and an additional eight appendices. Source code examples from the book are available as a series of Github repositories that you can download and work with.
Kindle readers: Please note that the book isn’t 100% complete at the moment, but I expect to add only two more chapters, so technically the book is now 98% complete. There is also a problem with the “Figure” references that I will correct with the next update.
A Survival Guide for New Consultants
Alvin J Alexander
Best price for this book: $ 9.71
Scala Cookbook: Recipes for Object-Oriented and Functional Programming
Best price for this book: $ 30.81
Save time and trouble when using Scala to build object-oriented, functional, and concurrent applications. With more than 250 ready-to-use recipes and 700 code examples, this comprehensive cookbook covers the most common problems you’ll encounter when using the Scala language, libraries, and tools. It’s ideal not only for experienced Scala developers, but also for programmers learning to use this JVM language.
Author Alvin Alexander (creator of DevDaily.com) provides solutions based on his experience using Scala for highly scalable, component-based applications that support concurrency and distribution. Packed with real-world scenarios, this book provides recipes for:
- Strings, numeric types, and control structures
- Classes, methods, objects, traits, and packaging
- Functional programming in a variety of situations
- Collections covering Scala's wealth of classes and methods
- Concurrency, using the Akka Actors library
- Using the Scala REPL and the Simple Build Tool (SBT)
- Web services on both the client and server sides
- Interacting with SQL and NoSQL databases
- Best practices in Scala development
Lay My Burden Down: Suicide and the Mental Health Crisis among African-Americans
Alvin F. Poussaint
Best price for this book: $ 12.89
Black Nature: Four Centuries of African American Nature Poetry
Best price for this book: $ 21.71
Black Nature is the first anthology to focus on nature writing by African American poets, a genre that until now has not commonly been counted as one in which African American poets have participated.
Black poets have a long tradition of incorporating treatments of the natural world into their work, but it is often read as political, historical, or protest poetry―anything but nature poetry. This is particularly true when the definition of what constitutes nature writing is limited to work about the pastoral or the wild.
Camille T. Dungy has selected 180 poems from 93 poets that provide unique perspectives on American social and literary history to broaden our concept of nature poetry and African American poetics. This collection features major writers such as Phillis Wheatley, Rita Dove, Yusef Komunyakaa, Gwendolyn Brooks, Sterling Brown, Robert Hayden, Wanda Coleman, Natasha Trethewey, and Melvin B. Tolson as well as newer talents such as Douglas Kearney, Major Jackson, and Janice Harrington. Included are poets writing out of slavery, Reconstruction, the Harlem Renaissance, the Black Arts Movement, and late twentieth- and early twenty-first-century African American poetic movements.
Black Nature brings to the fore a neglected and vital means of considering poetry by African Americans and nature-related poetry as a whole.
A Friends Fund Publication.
How I Sold My Business: a personal diary
Mr. Alvin J Alexander
Best price for this book: $ 9.93
Zen & the Art of Consulting
Best price for this book: $ 0
Alvin Alexander has worked as a consultant for over twenty years. He began at the bottom, working for a small salary plus the exciting promise of "incentives". Sadly, those incentives didn't come right away. In fact, they barely came at all during the first year.
But he kept pushing forward, and after working 90-hour weeks for 18-24 months, and making pretty much every mistake a consultant can make -- such as offering advice without knowing all the facts, or before anyone actually asked for his advice -- things got better. The short story is that he created his own consulting firm, grew his income to over $300,000 per year, sold his business, and "retired" before his 45th birthday.
Here's how Mr. Alexander describes Zen & the Art of Consulting:
As I wrote this book, I kept thinking back to my first years as a consultant -- the lean years -- and asked, "Would this information have helped me?" I also thought about the employees I hired, and how I coached them to prepare for meetings and handle certain situations. If I thought a story told an important lesson, I included it here.
In the end, this book is for any consultant with ambition. It’s written for the consultant who wants to be involved in the big decisions, the consultant who meets with clients and prospects to discuss their most challenging problems, the consultant who makes the big presentations, influences decision-makers, and has happy, long-term customers. It’s for the person who aspires to be a partner in a consulting firm, or who wants to run his own consulting business.
Finally, with the summary sections ("cheat sheets") at the end of the book, you can also use this as a reference manual, such as reminding yourself of the important points the night before a big meeting.
I hope you enjoy this book, and I hope it leads to a rewarding, fulfilling career.
All the best,
Complications of Pediatric and Adult Spinal Surgery
Best price for this book: $ 149.65