Best Alan R. Simon books
Washington's Farewell: The Founding Father’s Warning to Future Generations
Best price for this book: $ 6.99
George Washington’s Farewell Address was a prophetic letter from a “parting friend” to his fellow citizens about the forces he feared could destroy our democracy: hyper-partisanship, excessive debt, and foreign wars.
Once celebrated as civic scripture, more widely reprinted than the Declaration of Independence, the Farewell Address is now almost forgotten. Its message remains starkly relevant. In Washington’s Farewell, John Avlon offers a stunning portrait of our first president and his battle to save America from self-destruction.
At the end of his second term, Washington surprised Americans by publishing his Farewell message in a newspaper. The President called for unity among “citizens by birth or choice,” advocated moderation, defended religious pluralism, proposed a foreign policy of independence (not isolation), and proposed that education is essential to democracy. He established the precedent for the peaceful transfer of power.
Washington’s urgent message was adopted by Jefferson after years of opposition and quoted by Lincoln in defense of the Union. Woodrow Wilson invoked it for nation-building; Eisenhower for Cold War; Reagan for religion. Now the Farewell Address may inspire a new generation to re-center our politics and reunite our nation through the lessons rooted in Washington’s experience.
As John Avlon describes the perilous state of the new nation that Washington was preparing to leave as its leader, with enduring wisdom, he reveals him to be the indispensable Founding Father.
Stock Options For Dummies
Alan R. Simon
Best price for this book: $ 11.31
Confused by all the brouhaha surrounding stock options? Let expert Alan Simon demystify this often-confusing investment vehicle for you. Featuring clear explanations of how your stock options might make you money—or not—this friendly guide fills you in on what you need to know to:
- Understand different types of stock options
- Read and find traps in your stock option agreement
- Evaluate the pros and cons of company investment vehicles
- Assess vesting schedules and tax laws
- Tap Web resources
Simon demystifies the jargon, rules, and tax consequences of stock options. He provides a realistic picture of what to expect from your options, and he helps you see past the hype to understand what your employer is really offering. Important topics covered include:
- What you need to know before accepting a compensation package that includes options
- Developing a stock option philosophy and clear-cut goals
- Knowing whether you’re being treated fairly by your company
- Making sense of the language of stock options agreements
- Getting a handle on key restrictions on how you exercise your options
- Stock option valuation
- Tax rules and how they apply to different types of options
- How stock options can be affected by changes at your company
Stock Options For Dummies is the only guide you’ll need to get the most out of this important investment vehicle.
SQL: 1999: Understanding Relational Language Components (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Data Management Systems)
Best price for this book: $ 34.83
- Gives authoritative coverage from an expert team that includes the editor of the SQL-92 and SQL:1999 standards.
- Provides a general introduction to SQL that helps you understand its constituent parts, history, and place in the realm of computer languages.
- Explains SQL:1999's more sophisticated features, including advanced value expressions, predicates, advanced SQL query expressions, and support for active databases.
- Explores key issues for programmers linking applications to SQL databases.
- Provides guidance on troubleshooting, internationalization, and changes anticipated in the next version of SQL.
- Contains appendices devoted to database design, a complete SQL:1999 example, the standardization process, and more.
90 Days to the Data Mart
Alan R. Simon
Best price for this book: $ 12
From one of the leading data warehousing experts, here is a proven approach to building a departmental data mart in 13 weeks. Rather than provide a cookbook describing how to build a particular type of data mart using a specific set of tools, bestselling author Alan Simon provides you with a detailed blueprint that can be used to construct virtually any type of data mart.
Following a brief overview of key concepts and terms, Simon launches into a week-by-week action plan, beginning with the initial planning and project definition stages in Weeks 1 and 2, and ending with acceptance testing, fine-tuning, and deployment in Week 13. The approach outlined works equally well for both ROLAP and MOLAP data marts, regardless of the products or technologies you use to build your mart.
Whether your goal is to provide basic querying reporting, OLAP, EIS, data mining, or any combination of these, you'll find everything you need to get the job done right, in record time, and within budget, including:
* A proven approach to building a data mart in 90 days
* Step-by-step guidelines to all organizational, procedural, and technical steps involved
* Numerous checklists that help you make sure all the bases are covered
* Expert advice on how to make the most of particular technologies and products.
VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT www.wiley.com/compbooks/
Understanding the New SQL: A Complete Guide (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Data Management Systems)
Best price for this book: $ 46.55
An effective introduction to SQL, and a comprehensive reference for years to come. As the editor of the 1992 standard, Jim Melton is an authority on the language and its new features. Using a highly readable, conversational style, he and Alan Simon clearly present the power of SQL. They describe practical methods of using SQL to solve problems, advanced SQL query expressions, dynamic SQL, transaction models, and database design.
* A tutorial on basic relational database concepts.
* A clear explanation of the differences between SQL-89 and SQL-92.
* A retail video and music store as an example that develops with the SQL presentation.
* Coverage of international character sets.
Theories of the Labor Movement
Best price for this book: $ 26.99
Respecting both the history a labor theories and the variety of theoretical points of view concerning the labor movement, this collection of readings includes selections by Karl Marx, V. I. Lenin, William Haywood, Georges Sorel, Stanley Aronowitz, John R. Commons, Sidney and Beatrice Webb, Thorstein Veblen, Henry Simons, and John Kenneth Galbraith, among others.
Intending this as a text for classroom use, Larson and Nissen have arranged the readings according to the social role assigned to the labor movement by each theory. The text's major divisions consider the labor movement as an agent of revolution, as a business institution, as an agent of industrial reform, as a psychological reaction to industrialism, as a moral force, as a destructive monopoly, and as a subordinate mechanism in pluralist industrial society. Such groupings allow for ready comparison of divergent views of the origins, development, and future of the labor movement.
Campbell Biology: Concepts & Connections (9th Edition)
Martha R. Taylor
Best price for this book: $ 181.43
Intended for non-majors or mixed biology courses.
A conceptual framework for understanding the world of biology
Campbell Biology: Concepts & Connections
continues to introduce pedagogical innovations, which motivate students not only to learn, but also engage with biology. This bestselling textbook is designed to help students stay focused with its hallmark modular organization around central concepts and engages students in connections between concepts and the world outside of the classroom with Scientific Thinking, Evolution Connection and Connection essays in every chapter. The 9th Edition offers students a framework organized around fundamental biological themes and encourages them to analyze visual representations of data with new Visualizing the Data figures. A reorganized Chapter One emphasizes the process of science and scientific reasoning, and robust instructor resources and multimedia allow students to engage with biological concepts in a memorable way. Unparalleled resources let instructors develop active and high interest lectures with ease.
The book and Mastering™ Biology work together to help students practice making these connections throughout their text.
Also available with Mastering Biology
Note: You are purchasing a standalone product; Mastering™ Biology does not come packaged with this content. Students, if interested in purchasing this title with Mastering Biology, ask your instructor for the correct package ISBN and Course ID. Instructors, contact your Pearson representative for more information.
If you would like to purchase both the physical text and Mastering Biology, search for:
0134240685 / 9780134240688 Campbell Biology: Concepts & Connections Plus Mastering Biology with eText -- Access Card Package
Package consists of:
- 0134536266 / 9780134536262 Mastering Biology with Pearson eText -- ValuePack Access Card -- for Campbell Biology: Concepts & Connections
- 013429601X / 9780134296012 Campbell Biology: Concepts & Connections
Feast of Laughter 3: An Appreciation of R.A. Lafferty
Best price for this book: $ 13.6
This is the third issue of Feast of Laughter in celebration of R. A. Lafferty’s 101st birthday on November 7.
Table of Contents
Introduction by Kevin Cheek
Introduction to the Boomer Flats Gazette by Dan Knight
World Abounding - New Essays
Ray by Rick Norwood
One Cannot Give Too Many Instances by John Ellison
Eudaimonism in R.A. Lafferty’s Aurelia by Gregorio Montejo
Outside the Cathedral by Kevin Cheek
Copyright, Copyleft, Copyfuture by Rich Persaud
Lafferty and His Monsters - Part 1: The Early Works by Daniel Otto Jack Petersen
The Annals and Ace; or, The Textual History of an Historical Text by Andrew Ferguson
All But the Words - Translating Lafferty
From Russia with Laff: A Very Brief Report on R.A. Lafferty’s Russian Translations by Niyaz N. Abdullin
Bright Coins in a Never-Ending Stream - Reprinted Essays R. A. Lafferty: Effective Arcanum by Don Webb
A Sound of Lafferty by Roman Orszanski
R. A. Lafferty: The Function of Archetype in the Western Mystical Tradition by Dena C. Bain Taylor
Thus We Frustrate Charlemagne by Paul Kincaid
R.A. Lafferty, Sir Thomas More, and the Problems of Utopia by Robert Bee
Introduction to R.A. Lafferty’s The Fall of Rome by Darrell Schweitzer
Introduction to The Devil Is Dead by Charles Platt
In Deepest Pen and Ink - Laffertian Illustration
Hound Dog’s Ear illustrations by Lissanne Lake
Through Other Eyes - Reviews
The Man Who Made Models - Review by Stephen Case
Past Master by R. A. Lafferty by MPorcius
Utopia by Thomas More by MPorcius
R.A. Lafferty — Apocalypses (1977) by Gene McHugh
Club Mentiros - Works inspired by Lafferty
Three Poems by Bill Rogers
THE GREEN MORNING
The Lost Children of Boo-Hay World by Daniel Otto Jack Petersen
Who Was That? by Martin Heavisides
People are Strange by Christopher Blake
Justice by Dan Knight
An Afterword to “Justice” by Gregorio Montejo
Bone Girl by J Simon
Barstone by Stephen R. Case
Correspondence with the Cranky Old Man from Tulsa
Letter from Alan Dean Foster to R. A. Lafferty
R. A. Lafferty’s Reply to Alan Dean Foster
Letter from Alan Dean Foster Nominating Lafferty for the Arrell Gibson Life Achievement Award
Guesting Time - Interview
An Interview with Harlan Ellison by Andrew Mass
The Man With the Aura - Lafferty's own words!
Don’t Just Read Lafferty, Be Lafferty! by Anthony Ryan Rhodes
Tell It Funny, Og by R. A. Lafferty
Configuration Of The North Shore by R. A. Lafferty
Data Warehousing For Dummies
Thomas C. Hammergren
Best price for this book: $ 14.59
Data is probably your company’s most important asset, so your data warehouse should serve your needs. The fully updated Second Edition of Data Warehousing For Dummies helps you understand, develop, implement, and use data warehouses, and offers a sneak peek into their future. You’ll learn to:
- Analyze top-down and bottom-up data warehouse designs
- Understand the structure and technologies of data warehouses, operational data stores, and data marts
- Choose your project team and apply best development practices to your data warehousing projects
- Implement a data warehouse, step by step, and involve end-users in the process
- Review and upgrade existing data storage to make it serve your needs
- Comprehend OLAP, column-wise databases, hardware assisted databases, and middleware
- Use data mining intelligently and find what you need
- Make informed choices about consultants and data warehousing products
Data Warehousing For Dummies, 2nd Edition also shows you how to involve users in the testing process and gain valuable feedback, what it takes to successfully manage a data warehouse project, and how to tell if your project is on track. You’ll find it’s the most useful source of data on the topic!
Management Foundations & Applications + Sustainability in Australian Busines + Istudy Version 1 (Open University - Modern Art Practices & Debates)
John R. Schermerhorn Jr.
Best price for this book: $ 0
From overseas: Telephone: +61 7 3354 8444
Toll-free telephone (from New Zealand only): 0800 448 200
Fax (not toll-free): +61 7 3352 7107
Management : Foundations and Applications, 1st Asia - Pacific edition is a more concise version of the popular text Management, 4th Asia - Pacific adition, which is also published by Wiley. The 15 chapters of this edition cover key topics typically taught in a 12- or 13- week teaching semester.
Joining the author team and enhancing this edition's critical analysis of management theory and applications are the best-selling authors from another of the Wiley's undergraduate introductory management texts - Management: Core Concepts and Applications, 2nd Australasian edition (Davidson et al.). This text has a strong emphasis on the importance of the Asian region to contemporary Australian and New Zealand organisations. Many Asian case examples are featured to illustrate key management concepts. This edition also discusses the impact of recent events such as the global financial crisis on the management of organisation, both during the crisis and in its aftermath.
Of course, Management: Foundations and Applications, 1st Asia- Pacific edition also retains the features that make its larger 'parent' text so popular with students and lecturers:
- a balanced coverage of small to medium-sized enterprises and larger multinational corporations
- an emphasis on the need for business activities to be sustainable in the terms of preserving the wealfare of future generations
- the Career Readliness Workbook at the end of the book, which includes a range of individual and group activities to encourage the practical application of management theory.
With its clear insights into the dynamics of management in the workplace of today and future, Management: Foundations and Apllications,1st Asia - Pacific edition provides a sound basis for the contemporary undergraduate study of introductory management.
Now with iStudy!
The interactive study guide contains a series of interactive modules that will enhance your understanding of key concepts.